Phil Brazio, MD
Hometown: Stanford, CA
College: University of Maryland, College Park
Medical School: University of Maryland School of Medicine
Hobbies: Mountain biking, discovering new music, medical illustration
Dr. Brazio studied at the University of Maryland to earn two undergraduate degrees, a Bachelor of Science in Physiology and Neurobiology, and a Bachelor of Arts in German Language and Literature. He completed medical school at the University of Maryland, and went on to an internship, residency and chief residency in General Surgery at University of Maryland Medical Center and Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. During this time he also spent two years performing preclinical and clinical investigation on the immunobiology of facial transplantation with Drs. Eduardo Rodriguez and Rolf Barth.
Dr. Brazio returned to California to continue training as an independent resident in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Southern California. He has a special interest in abdominal wall reconstruction and craniofacial surgery.
1. Uluer MC, Brazio PS, Woodall JD, Nam AJ, Bartlett ST, Barth RN. (2016) Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation: Medical Complications. Curr Transpl Rep.
2. Hassanein W, Uluer MC, Langford J, Woodall JD, Cimeno A, Dhru U, Werdesheim A, Harrison J, Rivera-Pratt C, Klepfer S, Khalifeh A, Buckingham B, Brazio PS, Parsell D, Klassen C, Drachenberg C, Barth RN, LaMattina JC. (2016) Recellularization via the bile duct supports functional allogenic and xenogenic cell growth on a decellularized rat liver scaffold. Organogenesis.
3. Brazio PS, Morrison AL, Oh M, Goldberg N, Boutros CN. (2016) Large pleomorphic hyalinizing angiectatic tumor of the forearm: A multidisciplinary perspective. Surgery, 159(5):1471-3.
4. Schultz BD, Woodall JD, Brazio PS, Uluer MC, Kukuruga DL, Azimzadeh AM, Bojovic B, Rodriguez ED, Bartlett ST, Barth RN. (2015) Early Microchimerism After Face Transplantation Detected by Quantitative Real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction of Insertion/Deletion Polymorphisms. Transplantation, 99(7):e44-5.
5. Brazio PS, Woodall J, Panda A, Brown EN, Ha JS, Azimzadeh AM, Rodriguez ED, Bartlett ST, Bojovic B, Barth RN. (2015) Infused Bone Marrow Fails to Prevent Vascularized Composite Allograft Rejection in Nonhuman Primates. Am J Transplant.
6. Brazio PS, Barth RN. Reconstructive Transplantation - What Can We Learn from Solid Organ Transplantation? In The Science of Reconstructive Transplantation, Ed. Brandacher G. Springer, New York. 2015.
7. Khalifian S, Brazio PS, Mohan R, Shaffer C, Brandacher G, Barth RN, Rodriguez ED. (2014) Facial transplantation: the first 9 years.Lancet, 384(9960):2153-63.
8. Dorafshar AH, Brazio PS, Mundinger GS, Mohan R, Brown EN, Rodriguez ED. (2014) Found in Space: Computer-Assisted Orthognathic Alignment of a Total Face Allograft in Six Degrees of Freedom. J Oral Maxillofac Surg.
9. Nelson JA, Fischer JP, Brazio PS, Kovach SJ, Rosson GD, Rad AN. (2013) A review of propeller flaps for distal lower extremity soft tissue reconstruction: Is flap loss too high? Microsurgery, 33(7):578-86.
10. Hung BP, Salter EK, Temple J, Mundinger GS, Brown EN, Brazio P, Rodriguez ED, Grayson WL. (2013) Engineering bone grafts with enhanced bone marrow and native scaffolds. Cells Tissues Organs, 198(2):87-98.
11. Brazio PS, Munivenkatappa RB, Bojovic B, Ha JS, Brown EN, Hess AS, Bartlett ST, Rodriguez ED, Barth RN. (2013) Regulatory T cells are not predictive of outcomes in a nonhuman primate model of vascularized composite allotransplantation. Transplantation, 96(3):267-73.
12. Brazio PS, Barth RN, Bojovic B, Dorafshar AH, Garcia JP, Brown EN, Bartlett ST, Rodriguez ED. (2013) Algorithm for total face and multiorgan procurement from a brain-dead donor. Am J Transplant, 13(10):2743-9.
13. Lin M, Mohammed H, Lavien G, Brazio P, Lumpkins K, Timmons T. (2012) Sacral osteomyelitis: an unusual complication from foreign body ingestion. Am Surg, 78(4):497-9.
14. Bojovic B, Dorafshar AH, Brown EN, Christy MR, Borsuk DE, Hui-Chou HG, Shaffer CK, Kelley TN, Sauerborn PJ, Kennedy K, Hyder M, Brazio PS, Philosophe B, Barth RN, Scalea TM, Bartlett ST, Rodriguez ED. (2012) Total face, double jaw, and tongue transplant research procurement: an educational model. Plast Reconstr Surg, 130(4):824-34.
15. Rad AN, Christy MR, Rodriguez ED, Brazio P, Rosson GD. (2010) The anterior tibialis artery perforator (ATAP) flap for traumatic knee and patella defects: clinical cases and anatomic study. Ann Plast Surg, 64(2):210-6.
16. Magarakis M, Flores JI, Shridharani SM, Brazio PS, Venkat R, Rosson GD. (2010) Bilateral simultaneous laterally placed superior gluteal artery flap for unilateral breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg, 126(6):318e-9e.
17. Brown EN, Burris NS, Kon ZN, Grant MC, Brazio PS, Xu C, Laird P, Gu J, Kallam S, Desai P, Poston RS. (2009) Intraoperative detection of intimal lipid in the radial artery predicts degree of postoperative spasm. Atherosclerosis, 205(2):466-71.
18. Brazio PS, Laird PC, Xu C, Gu J, Burris NS, Brown EN, Kon ZN, Poston RS. (2008) Harmonic scalpel versus electrocautery for harvest of radial artery conduits: reduced risk of spasm and intimal injury on optical coherence tomography. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 136(5):1302-8.
19. Tran R, Brazio PS, Kallam S, Gu J, Poston RS. (2007) Transmyocardial Laser Revascularization Enhances Blood Flow within Bypass Grafts. Innovations (Phila), 2(5):226-30.
20. Rodriguez ED, Bluebond-Langner R, Brazio P, Collins M. (2007) Near-total mandible reconstruction with a single fibula flap containing fibrous dysplasia in McCune Albright Syndrome. J Craniofac Surg, 18(6):1479-82.
21. Kon ZN, White C, Kwon MH, Judy J, Brown EN, Gu J, Burris NS, Laird PC, Brown T, Brazio PS, Gammie J, Brown J, Griffith BP, Poston RS. (2007) The role of preexisting pathology in the development of neointimal hyperplasia in coronary artery bypass grafts. J Surg Res, 142(2):351-6.
22. Brown EN, Kon ZN, Tran R, Burris NS, Gu J, Laird P, Brazio PS, Kallam S, Schwartz K, Bechtel L, Joshi A, Zhang S, Poston RS. (2007) Strategies to reduce intraluminal clot formation in endoscopically harvested saphenous veins. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 134(5):1259-65.