Daniel J Gould, MD, PhD
Hometown: Sacramento, CA
Medical School: Baylor College of Medicine - MD / Rice University - PhD
Hobbies: Softball, fly-fishing, small businesses, beer brewing, space medicine
Dr. Gould earned his Bachelor of Science from UCLA and his combined medical degree and PhD in Bioengineering in an NIH sponsored Medical Scientist Training Program at Baylor College of Medicine and Rice University. During medical school, he pursued research interests in Tissue engineering and Developmental Biology and Molecular Biophysics under the guidance of Jennifer West and Mary Dickinson. During that time he developed scaffolds for tissue engineering and worked on a model for tissue engineering in vivo. He also worked with Dr. Kronowitz at MD Anderson Cancer Center during that time, developing several basic science and clinical research projects. His published work during medical school led to the Richard Dickason Outstanding Physician Scientist Award. He is very dedicated to education and mentoring of medical students and grad students. He is currently a resident in the Integrated Program of USC’s Division of Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Gould is a resident member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and American Society of Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Best Clinical Paper, Aesthetic Surgery Journal (2015)
- Honors Medical School Degree (2013)
- Best Medical Student in Pediatrics Jaworski award (2013)
- Richard Dickason Outstanding Physician Scientist Award/MSTP Valedictorian (2012)
- American Heart Association Research Scientist/Volunteer of the Year (2012)
- Medical Scientist Training Program Graduate Training Yearly Publication Award (2012)
- Nominated to American Chemical Society (2010)
- Highlighted Young Investigator American Heart Association (2010)
- Chancellor’s Service Award UCLA (2006)
- Phi Beta Kappa (2006
- National Dean’s List (2006)
- Dean’s List (2002-2006)
- American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellow Award 10PRE4190021 (50,000$ Stipend Support, 2010-2012)
- Caskey Fellow (120,000$ Full Medical School Tuition Support, 2006-2013)
- NIH Medical Scientist Training Program (150,000$ Stipend Support, 2006-2013)
- UCLA Undergraduate Research Fellowship (4000$ Stipend Support, 2005-2006)
- Gould DJ, Nadeau MH, Macias LH, Stevens WG. Inverted Nipple Repair Revisited: A 7-Year Experience. Aesthet Surg J. 2015 Feb 12 [Epub ahead of print] PMID 25681105. Award: Best Resident Clinical Paper 2015 by ASJ.
- Nadeau MH, Gould DJ, Macias LH, Spring MA, Stevens WG. “Superior pedicle technique of reduction mammaplasty: a stepwise approach.” Aesthet Surg J. 2015 Jan;35(1):94-104. PMID 25568240
- Gould, DJ, “Tissue Engineering for Plastic Surgeons, A Primer Commentary” Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Feb 2014 PMID 24337171.
- Gould, Daniel J, Hunt, Kelley K, Liu, Jun, Kuerer, Henry, Crosby, Melissa, Babiera, Gildy, Kronowitz, Steven J. (2013) “ Impact of surgical Techniques, Biomaterials, and Patient Variables on Rate of Nipple Necrosis after Nipple Sparing Mastectomy.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Sept 2013- in press feb 2014PMID 23985644
- Ali, Sanya, Saik, Jennifer, Gould, Daniel, Dickinson, Mary, West, Jennifer, (2013) “ Immobilization of Cell-Adhesive Laminin Peptides in Degradeable PEGDA Hydrogels Influences Endothelial Cell Tubulogenesis” Bioresearch Open Access, Aug 2013, PMID 23914330
- Cuchiara, Michael P., Gould Daniel J., McHale, Melissa K., Dickinson, Mary E., West, Jennifer L., (2012) “Integration of Self-Assembled Microvascular Networks with Microfabricated PEG-Based Hydrogels” Advanced Functional Materials, 2012. PMID 23536744
- Gould, Daniel J., Reece, Gregory P., (2012) “Skin Graft Vascular Maturation and Remodeling: A Multifractal Approach to Morphological Quantification,” Microcirculation, June, 2012. PMID: 22672367
- Gould, Daniel J., (2012) “Tissue Engineering” Journal of Anaplastology, 2012.
- Gould, Daniel J., Salmans, Jessica A, Lassinger, Brian K, Contreras, Arturo, Guitierrez, Christine, Bonefas, Elizabeth, Liscum, Kathleen R., Silberfein, Eric J. (2012) “Factors predicting Cystosarcomatous Phyllodes Tumor after Core Needle Biopsy” Journal of Surgical Research, 2012. Apr 14. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22524977
- Julia E. Leslie-Barbick, Jennifer E. Saik, Daniel J. Gould, Mary E. Dickinson, Jennifer L. West, (2011) “The promotion of microvasculature formation in poly(ethylene glycol) diacrylate hydrogels by an immobilized VEGF-mimetic peptide.” Biomaterials, 2011 Sep;32(25):5782-9. Epub 2011 May 25. PMID: 21612821
- Saik, Jennifer E and Gould, Daniel J., Keswani, Aakash H., Dickinson, Mary E. and West, Jennifer L. (2011) “Biomimetic Hydrogels with Immobilized EphrinA1 for Therapeutic Angiogenesis” Biomacromolecules, 2011 Jul 11;12(7):2715-22. Epub 2011 Jun 15. PMID: 21639150
- Gould, Daniel J., Morrison, Catherine A., Liscum, Kathleen R., Silberfein, Eric J. (2011) “A lipoma of the transverse colon causing intermittent obstruction: A rare cause for surgical intervention.” Gastroenterology and Hepatology (N Y). 2011 Jul;7(7):487-90PMID: 22298985
- Gould, Daniel J., Roth, Forrest S., Soparkar, Charles NS., (2011) “The Diagnosis and Treatment of Thyroid-Associated Ophthalmopathy.” Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2012 Jun;36(3):638-48. Epub 2011 Nov 16. PMID: 22083413.
- Roth, Forrest S., Gould, Daniel J., Chike-Obi, Chuma J., Bullocks, Jamal M., (2011) “Late Seroma During Pregnancy, A Rare Complication in Prosthetic Breast Augmentation: Case Report.” J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2012 Jul;65(7):973-6. Epub 2011 Nov 26. PMID: 22119792
- Saik, Jennifer E., Gould, Daniel J., Watkins, Emily M., Dickinson, Mary E. and West, Jennifer L. (2010) “Covalently Immobilized Platelet Derived Growth Factor-BB Promotes Angiogenesis in Biomimetic Poly(ethylene glycol) Hydrogels,” Acta Biomater. 2011 Jan;7(1):133-43. Epub 2010 Aug 27. PMID: 20801242
- Gould, Daniel J., Vadakkan, Tegy J., Poché, Ross A., Dickinson, Mary E. (2010) “Multifractal and Lacunarity Analysis of Microvascular Morphology and Remodeling,” Microcirculation 2011 Feb;18(2):136-51. PMID: 21166933