Caroline Yao, M.D., M.S.
PGY - 5
Hometown: Andover, MA
College: Princeton University
Medical School: Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
Hobbies: Squash, painting, adventure vacations, eating unusual foods
Caroline graduated college with a degree in Economics/Finance and worked as a Wall Street analyst before going to medical school. She took a two year research position during residency to earn a Masters Degree in biostatistics/clinical research and travelled around the world as a clinical research fellow with Operation Smile. She hopes to use her international surgical experiences and analytical background to improve delivery of surgical care in both the U.S. and abroad, and contribute to outcomes-based research in plastic surgery. During her research time, she was able to attend medical missions in: Cambodia, Vietnam, China, India, Madagascar, Morocco and Bolivia.
- Chai G, Tan A, Yao CA, Magee WP 3rd, Junjun P, Zhu M, Bogari M, Hsu Y, Xu H, Zhang Y. Treating Parry-Romberg Syndrome Using Three-Dimensional Scanning and Printing and the Anterolateral Thigh Dermal Adipofascial Flap. J Craniofac Surg. 2015 Sep;26(6):1826-9.
- Taro T, Yao C, Ly S, Wipfli H, Magee K, Vanderburg R, Magee W 3rd. The Global Surgery Partnership: An Innovative Partnership for Education, Research, and Service. Acad Med. 2015 Aug 18.
- Bartsich S, Yao CA. Is frosting effective? The role of retention sutures in posttraumatic orbital reconstruction surgery. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2015 Aug 12. pii: S1748-6815(15)00361-7.
- Shen C, Yao CA, Magee W 3rd, Chai G, Zhang Y. Presurgical nasoalveolar molding for cleft lip and palate: the application of digitally designed molds. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Jun;135(6):1007e-1015e.
- Parental health and social support in the first trimester of pregnancy and the risk of oral clefts: a questionnaire-based, case-control study. Ma J, Huang YQ, Yao C, Ma SQ, Meng T, Ma M, Su GH, Zhai K, Zhou ZW, Zhu JF, Shi B. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Jan;135(1):212-8.
- Costa MA, Yao CA, Gillenwater TJ, Taghva GH, Abrishami S, Green TA, Magee WP. Telemedicine in Cleft Care: Reliability and Predictability in Regional and International Practice Settings. J Craniofac Surg. 2015 Jun;26(4):1116-20.
- Figueiredo JC, Ly S, Raimondi H, Magee K, Baurley JW, Sanchez-Lara PA, Ihenacho U, Yao C, Edlund CK, van den Berg D, Casey G, DeClerk YA, Samet JM, Magee W 3rd. Genetic Risk Factors for Orofacial Clefts in West Africans and Southeast Asians. Am J Med Genet A. 2014 Oct;164A(10):2572-80. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.a.36693. Epub 2014 Aug 5.
- Yao CA, Ly S, Magee WP, Magee K, Figueiredo JC. Comparative analysis of environmental exposures and orofacial clefts in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Philippines. Oral Presentation. American Public Health Association 142nd Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA November 15-19, 2014.
- Yao CA, Ly S, Magee WP, Magee K, Figueiredo JC. Maternal risk factors in the development of and risk of orofacial clefts in the Philippines. Oral Presentation. American Public Health Association 142nd Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA November 15-19, 2014.
- Yao CA, D, Kulber DA, Hiatt JR. Buckels JAC ed. Chapter 44, Compartment Syndrome. Vascular Surgery: Principles and Practice, 4th Ed.
- Yao CA, Wang, D, Kulber DA. The Story of Serratia Marcescens: Pathologic Risk Factors in Breast Implant Surgery. Archives of Plastic Surgery. Accepted, pending publication.
- Yao CA, Ly S, Magee WP, Magee K, Figueiredo JC. The International Family Study: Genetic and Maternal/Paternal Risk Factors Associated with Oral-facial Clefts in Underserved, Multi-Ethnic Populations. Plastic Surgery Research Council (June 2013, Los Angeles, CA)
- Yao CA, Kulber DA. The Story of Serratia Marcens: Pathologic Risk Factors in Breast Implant Surgery. The American College of Surgeons Southern California Annual Scientific Meeting (January 2013, Santa Barbara, CA).
- Yao CA, Ellis CV, Cohen MJ, Kulber DA. Preserving the Post-Trapeziectomy Space with a Human Acellular Dermal Matrix Spacer: A Pilot Case Series of Patients with Thumb Carpometacarpal Joint Arthritis. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery PRSgo, accepted for publication August 2013.
- Travel scholarship recipient for the ASPS Women Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting (January 2013, Las Vegas, NV)
- Barstich S, Ascherman JA, Whittier S, Yao CA, Rohde CH. The Breast: A Clean-Contaminated Surgical Site. Aesthetic Surgery Journal September 2011 31: 802-806.
- Barstich S, Ascherman JA, Whittier S, Yao CA, Rohde CH. The Breast: A Clean-Contaminated Surgical Site. 1st Place Presentation and 1st Place Paper at The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) Residents & Fellows Forum (Boston, May 2011).
- Shin J, Akelina Y, Yao CA, Codreanu M and Strauch R. Novel intraoperative application of cyanoacrylate for the prevention of painful neuroma formation. Oral presentation at the 2010 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Peripheral Nerve, in association with the American Association for Hand Surgery.
- Yao CA, Arnell TD. Hepatic artery Pseudoaneurysm following Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. The American Journal of Surgery 2010 Jan;199(1):e10-1.
- Yao CA, Kieserman-Schmokler C andRohde CH. Pregnancy Complications in Surgeons and Surgeons-in-Training. Oral presentation at The American College of Surgeons’ (ACS) 95th Annual Clinical Congress (October 2009, Chicago, IL).
- Yao CA, Kieserman-Schmokler C andRohde CH. Risks in Twin Pregnancies for Surgeons. Poster presentation at The American College of Surgeons’ (ACS) 95th Annual Clinical Congress (October 2009, Chicago, IL).